As adult ESL volunteers, instructors, and staff members, keeping up with trends and discoveries through professional development is imperative to serving our students as best we can.
One incredible resource that offers free, online professional development is ELL-U, which is part of LINCS (Literacy Information and Communication System). There are several online professional development courses that could prove beneficial to you.
The courses that are currently available are:
• Second Language Acquisition: Myths, Beliefs, and What the Research Shows
• Teaching Adult ELLs Who Are Emergent Readers
• Formative Assessment to Inform Quality Adult ESL Instruction
• The Role of Culture in the Education of Adult English Language Learners
• Principles of Second Language Teaching: Planning, Implementing, and Managing Instruction
While you have all received the English Forward training, and likely other training and professional development opportunities, these workshops could reinforce what you already know and believe or teach you something new!
If you want to learn more about the courses, click here. You’ll need to create an account for LINCS, but it’s totally free to do so. And LINCS is incredibly helpful beyond the online courses.